Well, it was a very busy, exhausting day! We got so much done and are right on schedule, thank goodness! God worked out so many details and we are one step closer to bringing Sasha home to America to be our son. Jeff went to meet someone from the passport office who met him outside for a signing. It was quite funny Jeff said, but some kind of transaction took place and about 2 hrs later had a passport. Wow, not sure how everything goes down here, but just happy it all happened!
We were headed to Lutugano to get the pension money that the government gives to orphans. Then found out that we really didn't have time to go all the way back to the town where the orphanage was located. The government saves money for the orphans evidentally, but when you adopt a child, you have to give it back to the orphanage. tricky how that works. ha! So now the region will just keep the money where he was located.
We had a long 3 hour drive from Lugansk to Donestk. Then we grabbed a quick flight for Jeff, me and Sasha and Ksenia and Tonya our amazing translators! We barely made it but arrived just in time. We flew to Kiev, about an hour flight, then rode another 45 minutes to our apartment. Jeff and I were thinking, oh good, we are settled in for the night.....but as soon as the suitcases were inside, Sasha said, "I HUNGRY."
He has a major sugar addiction and wants to eat chocolate from the moment he wakes up til the moment he goes to bed. No kiddeing! He found some sugar cubes in the cabinets here in our apartment....he brought them to us and said, "THESE BEAUTIFUL." We cracked up and I said, "Oh good Sasha, you need more sugar." He laughed but may be crying by the time we get back to America. I am doing my best to wean him off of all the sugar. I told him he reminds me of Spider Man because he is climbing the walls all the time.
I have the sweetest husband in the world. He's such an amazing papa. We read to Sasha every chance we get and right now Jeff is reading/singing How Much Is That Doggie In The Window. Wow, at least that what it sounds like. haha
Sasha is aboslutely adorable. He has not lost his temper once and he continues to amaze us with his loving sweet gestures. We are loving our one on one time with him so much. He got quiet at dinner tonight and then I realized that he had been looking at pictures on my phone of the orphanage. He saw pictures of all of his friends and Babushka. Very emotional to even think about. We have had so many amazing bonding moments and our time with him has been invaluable. When we get home, life will get busy again and he will not have our attention 24/7. It truly has blessed our hearts to be with this sweet little boy day in and day out. We are so joyful that God chose us to be his "forever family." I know that God has already equipped him with everything that he needs to succeed in America. I almost don't want to "americanize" him. I am so excited for the opportunities that may come Sasha's way and we hope that he will tell the story when he is ready....and give God all the glory. I know life will not be easy for him. He does not want to go to school because I think he is afraid that others will make fun of him. I will homeschool him for a bit until he feels confident and ready. He has so much to give and we know that God will use him in a mighty way.
Sasha's english is coming along so well. When we were visiting him at the orphanage he had totally forgotten all of his english....now he is speaking in full sentences already. On the way to the restaurant he said, "Sasha no speak Russian, only English." We had heard that they do not want to remember anything about Ukrain and will often not even speak Russian or Ukrainian if someone in America speaks to them.
It was so cute at the restaurant because he ordered for us in Russian. He is usually embarressed of us I think because we stand out so much. We are so freakin' american looking. But tonight our waitress thought he was cute and he knew it so he would ask us questions in english and then translate to her. I wish we could keep his Russian and Ukrainian language but that will be completely up to him if he wants to continue with it.
We are going to get his physical tomorrow and the U.S. Embassy. Another busy day. We found out that the circus is only two blocks from us so we may try to surprise him with tickets. I know he would love it. He is like a newborn, experiencing everything for the first time. He is intrigued by the smallest things that we take for granted.
Thanks for prayers! We are so tired but God continues to give us strength. We feel so blessed and thankful that God has chosen us to be this wonderful boy's parents. I know that Kelsey, karley and Kyle are so anxious for our return with their brother. This has been just as hard on them to wait. Also our sweet Bobo and Poppy. Wow, what would we have done without them. They are running everything at our house in our absence. Jeff's parents are so sweet to be there for us in every way possible.
We are so excited to come back to America. Two more days of running around for our official documents
and then a full day of flights and we will back to the good ole US of A! .
love to you all,
m and j
No comments:
Post a Comment